Monday, May 02, 2005

An Unpleasant Calm

The weekend passed with no further incidents. I stayed locked up in my apartment Saturday, the phones disconnected, myself wrapped in the confusion of the previous week.

It has been a week since my visit to a no-longer-existent restaurant with the "ghostly" owner eyeing me. If that weren't enough, I remember other patrons in the restaurant as well. Who were they? I didn't really pay attention to them at the time, so I probably would not recognize them if I ever saw them again.

I did get up the nerve to drive by the Dal Cuore yesterday, and sure enough it was closed with a large "For Lease" sign in the window. My co-workers were right.

Today at work was a mess. My boss was furious at my sudden departure last Friday and with my vague excuses as to why I fled. I furiously plodding along on my video project, vaguely wondering if I will still have a job after it is done. Oh well... That is the least of my worries now.

Even now, I still bounce back and forth between fear and disbelief of the recent events. However, the book I have been cursed with seems to be behaving now. It hasn't disappeared or reappeared mysteriously since Friday.

After thinking it over the past couple of days, I've concluded that the only keys to this mystery are the book (which I cannot decipher), Theresa (who I cannot contact), and possibly the owner of the Dal Cuore (who had committed suicide weeks ago). Three strikes, and I am left out in the dark.

Perhaps I can put this aberration behind me, either pretend it never happened or was just "one of those things," a bizarre anecdote like those found in UFO and paranormal books. Perhaps some debunker could find a quick, pat explanation for it all, while I, the experiencer, will always feel the matter unresolved.

I have plugged the phones back in, and so far there have been no calls. Everything is quiet. Just me alone in my apartment, sitting in front of my computer, journaling away a week of life.

To think, the only reason I started this blog was to document my reunion with Theresa. I had no idea my little online narration would become so detached from normal reality.

But despite the normalcy of the weekend and today, I still have a bad... I don't know... Premonition? Just a sense that things are not completely back to normal. Somehow, reality just feels different - I still feel a nagging sense of dissociation with everything. I want to believe it is simply paranoia, given the events of last week. But I think that is only wishful thinking.

In my heart of hearts, I know the shadows behind the cracks of reality are watching me. But are they benign or malevolent? And will the come back out to taunt me again?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


DUI Lawyer